There’s a lot of buzz around the types of mattresses available in the markets today. Google the term “mattress types” or “kinds of mattress”, and you start receiving frequent glittery ads from different mattress manufacturing companies like latex mattress producers, memory foam mattress, back pain mattress manufacturer etc. The sellers try to woo you to hit the link, directing you to their websites in all these ads.
Besides adding best mattresses buy offers, the different types of mattresses manufacturing companies try to arouse an interest in you for the mattress they deal in particularly. A spring mattress manufacturer explains why you should buy a spring mattress, and so does a foam mattress manufacturer.
Would you mind not getting trapped in these marketing gimmicks?
Not all mattresses work equal to all. There are specific conditions for their use, and these conditions may vary from person to person. A mattress good for young people may not necessarily be a good mattress for senior citizens or kids. There are pros and cons of all mattress types, and buyers should be aware of the properties of these different types of mattresses.
Your landing on this page indicates your curiosity to know, in simple words, which mattress type is good for you. Ahead in the report, we will see how we should choose a bed mattress type based on factors that affect your physical and mental health conditions and the properties of each mattress type.
Mattresses are meant to impart a quality sleeping experience that takes you out of the physical and mental stresses developed out of busy daily schedules. But sometimes, instead of imparting freshness, the mattresses induce disorders like neuro pain, spinal cord pain, sweaty nights, etc. And this happens due to a wrong mattress type selection.
To get rid of these problems, understanding how to choose the right mattress type is important, and to know how to choose the right mattress, understanding our body needs and sleeping habits is the foremost thing to do. For Instance, best type of mattress for side sleepers can be different from what is best type of mattress for lower back pain.
We will discuss all these and more, ahead in this report we will see individually how a mattress suits your sleeping habits. Additionally under each mattress type we will also see some popular/ best selling mattresses that you can bring home and get the results you desire.
Types of Mattress
Based on what is inside a mattress, mattresses can be divided into 7 broad categories or 7 types of mattresses broadly. Further, every kind of mattress can have sub-types too. First, let us see the broad categories of mattress.
- Cotton mattress
- Coir mattress
- Spring Mattress (Bonnell springs & Pocket springs)
- Foam mattress (Memory Foam, Latex Foam and other 5 mattress types)
- Hybrid Mattress
- Air bed Mattress
- Water Bed mattress
In these above 7 types of mattresses, the cotton mattresses have been like our traditional mattress, and we will not discuss it in our report as in India people understand the cotton mattresses quite better. The second one; the Coir mattress is hardly in use these days because of its many drawbacks.
Now, among the next 5 types of mattress in the list, we will discuss in wide perspective; The Spring Mattress, The Foam Mattress, and The Hybrid types of mattress, as these three are the most popular mattress types the manufacturers are selling high in the market today.
Also, we will look briefly on the last two mattress types i.e The Air bed Mattress, and The Water Bed Mattresses, disusing their sub-types, applications, advantages and disadvantages. I assure you, reading this report complete will empower you to be decisive and choosing the right mattress type for yourself or your loved ones. A seller cannot fool you by describing the good qualities of their mattress; instead, you will be able to teach him the pros and cons of the mattress available to him.
Let’s Start from S/No 3 of the list above:
3. Spring Mattresses
Spring mattresses mainly consist of a spring frame with from around 1000 to 3000 spring counts. The more springs you have, the better support you get. These springs are made of steel or titanium. On the top and bottoms of the spring frame, foams are embedded. Thus spring portion acts as the support layer, and the foam potion acts as the comfort layer. So next time when we mention support layer or comfort layer, please recall what layer we are referring to.
These springs may be stiff springs with less compressibility or soft spring with compressibility more than the former.
Let’s see when it all happens:
The spring mattress comes in two types:
- The Bonnell spring mattress, and
- The Pocket spring mattress
Let us understand each spring mattress type in detail :
Bonnell spring mattress :
The springs in the Bonnell spring mattress are tied to each other, i.e. they are interconnected. So if you press on one point on the Bonnell springs mattress, the adjacent springs also get somewhat deflected. This is known as “motion transfer”. Ahead we may mention “No motion transfer or Zero motion transfer, please be informed what motion transfer we are talking of.
In other words, on a double bed mattress, the pre sleeping person feels the arrival of a new person on the bed. The sellers, for apparent reasons, term it as “partner disturbance“.
The springs used in this mattress are stiff, and since they are interwind to each other, they bend less. Because of this reason, these mattresses are suitable for people with back pain issues or for people who have a flat on-back sleeping habit.
Pros of the Bonnell spring mattress:
- These mattresses are affordable and cost less.
- Individual spring sag is not seen as the springs are interwind to one another.
- These mattresses provide comparatively better support, i.e. they are the firmer type of mattress and are better for people who have back pain issues.
- Bonnel spring mattresses support better air circulation and hence does not heats up due to body temperature.
Cons of the Bonnell spring mattress:
- They provide low bounciness, so if you want a more bouncy mattress in the spring mattress type, read the following pocket spring types of mattress.
- Partner disturbance: since the spring coils are interconnected, your partner gets disturbed when you land on the mattress.
- Bringing this mattress may not be a good idea if you are a side sleeper, as they do not conform to the body; Or choose a Bonnell spring mattress with a thicker comfort layer.
- The springs usually sag over a period of time. But this is entirely dependent on the spring gauge and stiffness of the spring used; if buying this mattress, choose a brand that promises an extended warranty and a good post-sale service.
- On prolonged use, the Bonnel spring mattress becomes a little noisy.
[amazon bestseller=”bonnel spring mattress” template grid=”5″]
Pocket spring mattress:
The pocket spring mattresses have independent springs mounted on a base frame. The independent springs are enclosed in cotton casings. Since not interconnected, these mattresses types do not exhibit motion transfer; hence your partner does not get disturbed when you land on the mattress.
The zero motion transfer is attributed to the non-connectivity of springs with one another. When you put weight on one part of the mattress, only the springs below that weight gets compressed. The springs used in the pocket spring mattress are less stiff than what we saw in the Bonnell spring mattress, and hence, the pocket spring mattress is a little softer than the Bonnell spring mattress. The extent of spring compression is dependent on the gauge of springs used in the mattress.
Pros of the pocket spring mattress:
- Since made of less stiff springs, the pocket spring mattress offers more bounciness than the Bonnel spring mattress.
- They also act as pressure point comfort mattresses. They are good for side sleepers or stomach sleepers. The user’s spinal cord remains more or less straight, and the bounciness provides cushioning to your stomach/ shoulders.
- Good air circulation hence does not gets heated due to body temperature.
- Zero partner disturbance.
- It doesn’t become noisy in the long run.
Cons of the Pocket spring mattress:
- These are not good for people with back pain issues.
- More pricy than the Bonnell spring mattress
- Individual spring failure may be a disaster; also, the springs sag over a period of time.
(If you wish to understand the construction mechanism of the mattress, please read.)
[amazon bestseller=”pocket spring mattress” template grid=”5″]
4. Foam Mattress
Mattress, sofa cushions, car seats, bike seats and a lot more; we encounter several places in our day to day life where we use foams; all that is different is the quality of these foams, or better to say, properties of these foams. The mattresses that are derived from these daily use foams comes under the types of foam mattress.
There are several different types of foam mattresses available in the markets today; these are:
- Polyurethane Foams mattresses
- Memory Foam mattresses
- Gel Foam mattresses
- Reflex Foam mattresses
- Latex Rubber Foam mattress
- Convoluted Foam mattress, and
- Evlon Foam mattress
Out of all these, the two most popular forms that are being used in the mattresses these days are:
- Memory foam mattress, and
- The Latex foam mattress
We will discuss the mattress types made out of the two foams mentioned above and briefly look at the other types of foam mattress in this section.
comes in varying densities are used accordingly for varying purposes. The High resilience form of polyurethane foams finds application as the comfort layer in the mattresses. The rest are popular in commercial applications as sofa cushions, vehicle seats and others because of their excellent bounce-back capabilities.
can be memory foam or PU Foam with induced gels in them. The gel induction imparts cooling properties to the mattress. These are mainly used in the comfort layer in the different types of mattresses. In recent times, to impart a more stable temperature to the body, the manufacturers have introduced gel particle-induced foams. The gel particle-induced foams keep a balance of temperature between the mattress and the body.
are polyurethane foams with high density and less firmness. Changing the composition of the polyurethane forms gives different results; reflex foam is an example of the same. These foams are generally considered good for orthopaedic patients; the air inside the mattress, instead of coming out from the mattresses, as in memory foam, displaces aside and returns to their position when relieved. These mattresses are a cheaper option to the memory foam mattress,
forms the toppers of the mattresses. Their shape appears as an egg crate. Convoluted foams were developed to cut the cost of mattress production. With a similar thickness as the conventional foam, the convoluted foams cut be cut to produce two sheets. Because of hips and valleys, these foams sag faster and are not that former.
Also known as lux foam, the Evlon foams are derived from polyurethanes. They are dense and quicky bouncy. They find applications as sofas and seat cushions.
Now let us understand the two most popular foam mattress types that the producers promote and sell high.
Memory foams are known for providing better comfort. They are used in the comfort layer of the mattress; the support layer is high-density foam. When you sleep on the memory foam mattress, it takes the shape of your body; In better words, it conforms to the shape of your body. In more exact words, you, in actuality, sleep inside a raised edge of the memory foam mattress and not above the mattress. As a result, your spinal cord remains more or less straight.
Bringing home the memory home types of mattress can be a good idea for people having back pain issues, provided the thickness of memory foam mattress is not much to create a curve below your body.
Another advantage of conforming to the body is pressure release from the pressure points of your body. And since the pressure points are released, you wake up more fresh in the morning.
When you leave the mattress, it regains its original shape. And because of this property, it has been named “memory foam” as it recalls its original form.
The process of regaining the original shape is slow. This is a disadvantage, too; when you take a turn while sleeping, the memory foam mattress does not support your body’s turning movement because of the slow original shape regaining process.
To counter this issue, the manufacturers today have introduced “responsive memory foam mattresses”.
The responsive memory foam is a quick bouncing back type of mattress that supports body turn movements while sleeping. So next time, do not just search for a memory foam mattress, instead search for a responsive memory foam mattress.
Now, moving to another, the essential aspect is understanding how a memory foam mattress is made and the ideal compositions of a memory foam mattress. Many memory foam manufacturing companies and memory foam produced by all manufacturers don’t need to be of identical qualities.
Qualities may differ as the processes of manufacturing may vary from manufacturers to manufacturers.
Memory foam is a kind of engineered foam. It is made by a chemical reaction of polyol, isocyanates and water in the presence of a catalyst.
Since made from polyol- a polymer; it exhibits elastic properties, and so they are also called “viscoelastic foam”. The extent of viscoelasticity depends on its production method, i.e., the reaction is caused, and post-production has been heat-treated.
Thus comes a difference in the quality of memory foams manufactured by various companies.
Right manufactured memory foam doesn’t allow bacteria or mildew formation in the long run.
And it is because of this reason, mattresses made from memory foam help to release pressure from the body. It can be a perfect mattress for side sleepers or stomach sleepers. The body parts in contact with memory foam mattresses experience a counter but gentle force that releases pressure from the body.
Important to mention here; the memory foam mattress has an open cell structure that allows air circulation, and the mattress doesn’t retain the body heat. But, this entirely depends on how the memory foam has been produced. Many companies are using filler agents to cut the cost of manufacturing in this highly competitive market. This, as a result, is deteriorating the air circulation capacity of a memory foam mattress. Thus it becomes vital to enquire about the manufacturer first before bringing a memory foam mattress home.
Developed first in the late 1960s by NASA to safeguards its equipment and scientists against sudden jerks and strikes in zero gravity, the memory foam mattress was released in the public domain in the year 1980. In 1990, a Sweden-based manufacturing company named “Fagerdala world Foams” first used it in a sleeping mattress.
Pros of the memory foam mattress:
- It helps pressure-relieving from the body. The bounce-back speed is slow in memory foam mattresses, and hence they conform to the body shape and provide pressure relief.
- Memory foam mattresses, despite a good density, are Lightweight mattresses.
- The orthopaedic memory foam mattress may be an excellent mattress for people having back pain issues.
- Memory foam mattresses offer zero motion transfer, i.e. No partner disturbance.
- Non-Noisy mattresses, do not produces churning sounds in the long run.
Cons of the memory foam mattress:
- The memory foam mattress has a slow bounce back rate and is not suitable for newborn babies or kids below 3 years.
- These are chemically manufactured mattresses; a wrongly manufactured memory foam mattress may produce a wretched smell on prolonged use. But please note, this is only when the foam quality is not good. Modern memory foam mattresses are coming ventilated to fight the above-discussed issue.
- VOC (Volatile organic compounds) produced by memory foam mattresses may cause respiratory disorders in human beings. So check the quality thoroughly before you buy. Low-cost memory foam exhibits more VOC.
- Memory foam mattresses are high priced mattresses; the price ranges somewhere between Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 per square foot.
- Even good produced memory foam mattress retains body heat, so you may have some sweaty nights if you use it in the summer seasons. There are options to it in memory foam class only that we will discuss ahead. These are Gel Memory foam or gel particle-induced memory foam mattresses; please keep reading the report to know more about them.
- It is a chemically manufactured mattress, hence not an eco-friendly product.
[amazon bestseller=”memory foam mattress” template grid=”5″]
The latex foam mattresses are, in fact, the most preferred type of mattresses today. They may not be the best selling types of mattresses, but indeed, they are favourite for their properties. They are more pricy than even the memory foam mattresses. The reason for their popularity is the claim that whatever drawbacks (con points ) we see in the memory foam mattresses are not encountered with the latex foam mattresses. The is well justified by the words “100% natural latex” that many of you must have seen on the ads. This word implies that you do not need to be much skilled to identify a genuine latex foam mattress, unlike the memory foam mattresses.
But, please wait! There,s a game here too!
The latex foam mattresses are available in three types:
- Natural latex foam mattress
- Blended latex foam mattress, and
- Synthetic latex foam mattresses
The game here is to identify the 100% natural latex made latex foam mattresses if you wish to eliminate memory foam issues.
To understand the manufacturing process of latex foam mattresses, make sure you read our exclusive report on the latex foam mattress production.
I am saying this a game because the blended foam mattresses, which are a mixed product of natural latex and synthetic latex, have been promoted many times as 100% natural latex mattresses. Identifying them is not easy as you need to laboratory them to get the percentage of natural latex in the mattress.
So a better way to identify a latex foam mattress if it is a 100% natural latex foam mattress is to study the manufacturer. We encourage you to go with a company that manufactures 100% natural latex foam mattresses only. You get some guarantee of a genuine latex foam mattress this way.
Now, let us see the pros and cons of latex foam types of mattresses.
I am reversing the order here; first, let’s see the cons.
Cons of the latex foam mattresses:
- There are no cons, in my opinion, if it is a 100% natural latex mattress and has been manufactured in the right way. As per the price is concerned, it is a bit high. But the high price should not be called a con as the process of latex harvesting, transportation, and processing is more increased. Additionally, you get good durability, something like 2.5 to 3 times the durability of a memory foam mattress.
But if you are purchasing a synthetic latex foam mattress, please note that it will have odor more than the natural latex types of mattress since a petrochemical product.
- It will not be as bouncy as natural latex foam mattress but better than the memory foam mattress types.
- Since a petrochemical product, it is not eco-friendly.
- Durability will be less than the 100% natural latex mattress
- It will not be as cool as the natural latex foam mattress but better than the memory foam mattress.
- Be it natural or synthetic, latex foam mattresses do not act as pressure-relieving mattresses.
Now, Considering we have a 100% natural latex mattress, let’s look at its pros.
Pros of the Latex Rubber Foams:
- Extremely durable
- Suitable for side sleepers, as there is no roll-down movement at the edges.
- It doesn’t produce heat as you sleep above the mattress
- Has Quick bounce nack property, so it adds to the movement of the body on the mattress
- No VOC (Volatile organic compound) emissions as it is a chemical-free product, so safe for all age people, do not causes respiratory problems.
- No partner disturbance
- Better circulations of air, so no heat generation and hence no sweating issues.
[amazon bestseller=”latex mattress” template grid=”5″]
Now the seventh and last mattress type in our list is the Hybrid Mattress. Now, this is interesting. Let’s find out why?
The Hybrid mattress is a combination of the spring mattress and a foam mattress.
Please note that there is more than one foam layer in a hybrid mattress; the spring base forms the support layer of the hybrid mattress, whereas the upper foam layers constitute the comfort layer. The spring type used here is mainly of the pocket spring type, whereas the comfort layer foams can be memory foam, a latex foam with some other high density and High resilience PU foams combination. But this is a no fixed rule; the types may differ; it depends upon the seller/manufacturer. Please check it once and get confirmed before making a deal.
Hybrid types of mattresses are available at a comparatively higher price than the memory foam mattresses but less than the latex foam mattresses and have better comfort properties. Also, It doesn’t encounter sweating problems because of sufficient air circulation provisions.
Now, let us look at the Pros and Cons of the hybrid type of mattresses.
Pros of the Hybrid Mattresses:
. As we have seen, a hybrid mattress provides better support and comfort; these can be good for all types of sleepers. The firmness is suitable for people with back pain issues, and the comfort layer can provide pressure relief if the comfort layer is made of memory foam. The firmness is primarily due to the presence of springs instead of foams.
.Hybrid mattresses are breathable mattress types; heat absorbed in the comfort layer is circulated through springs and emitted. So, these can be a better option for hot sleepers.
.Since made from pocket springs and memory foams’/latex foams, these mattresses do not exhibit transfer. However, motion transfer in these types of mattresses may exceed the memory foam mattress extent.
They are more durable than memory foam mattresses but less than all-natural latex foam mattress types.
Cons of the hybrid types of mattresses:
. The first con is the price. They’re costlier than the memory foam mattresses
.As a spring-based mattress, these are heavier.
Though the comfort layer in the hybrid mattress provides pressure relief, they are not as great a memory foam mattress.
[amazon bestseller=”hybrid mattress” template grid=”5″]
Air Bed Mattress
The air bed mattress has a wide range of applications. They can be used as a permanent mattress at home, as a temporary mattress for guests, camping and others, as a medical aid for patients in a hospital, and other similar uses.
The Air mattresses are made of rubber material, Vinyl or plastics and the available in two main air mattress types.
- The Permanent Air bed mattress, and
- The temporary Air bed mattress
As the name indicates, the permanent bed mattresses are meant for regular use in houses and hospitals, while the temporary bed mattresses are ideal for quick outdoor services. The medium of comfort and support in these types of mattresses is air. They have been designed to allow regulation of air in their inbuilt chambers, thereby allowing adjustment of support and comfort. Based on research and multi-occasion applications, air bed mattresses can be a beneficial mattress to bring home.
[amazon bestseller=”air bed mattress” template grid=”5″]
Water bed mattress
Water bed mattresses have water as the medium of support and comfort, unlike the springs or foam core. These mattresses come with a thermostat to adjust the heating of water as per preferences.
Available in two types; the hard-sided water bed mattress and the soft-sided water bed mattress, the water bed mattresses have disadvantages of generating high electricity bills, accidental breakdown hazards, and others.
Among the advantages- the water bed mattress conforms to the body shape and thus acts as pressure points relieving mattress. These can also be a good mattress for people with back pain issues. The advantages are similar to what we get with memory foam mattresses, but the disadvantages are considerably high. We suggest making a thorough analysis of the hazards associated with it before bringing a water bed mattress home.
[amazon bestseller=”water bed mattress” template grid=”5″]
The detailed knowledge of the types of mattress can enable you to choose the right mattress type for you and your family. So a better way to taking a good decision at this time is to analyse your sleep requirements and sleeping habit first, and choose a mattress accordingly.
We have also provided some popular mattresses links below each of these different types of mattresses; You may visit those products, study them thoroughly and make a buy. These mattresses have been found to perform comparatively better than their competitors. Be it a backpain type mattress or a mattress for side sleepers, you can better decide now which mattress type is best for you.
Thank you so much for reading our comprehensive report on the types of mattresses. If you have any queries, please write to us in the comments section below. We will be happy to answer you.